Research projects are one of the main reasons Lunar Homestead exists. There is so much we need to figure out before permanent human settlements on Luna (or anywhere else besides Earth) become a reality. And very few people are actually working on finding the answers.
Lunar Homestead was conceived to be EVERYONE’S way to participate in the permanent settlement of space. The vast majority of us won’t ever work for NASA or another government agency. We won’t work at SpaceX or some other space corporation. We have had very few options to actively participate, besides public outreach and trying to influence politicians.
Lunar Homestead is YOUR chance to conduct real, valuable research. Research that could determine how and when we see the first permanent Lunar settlement. Even if you personally aren’t “bending metal”, you can help those that are. Ideas, suggestions, contacts, money, resources. These are all vitally important if we want to see forward progress.
- You don’t have to be employed or trained as a scientist. In fact, it might be better if you’re not. Many of the solutions we need will require “out-of-the-box” thinking. Non-scientists and non-engineers are more likely to come up with something new, clever, and crazy. Just what we need.
- You don’t have to conduct experiments to have a huge impact. Finding out what’s already been learned on a certain topic and gathering all the information and sources in one place is also research. All you need is access to the Internet, curiosity, and time. Your contributions can go a long way towards putting actual technology “on the shelf” for future Homesteaders.
- You don’t have to own a fancy lab to conduct research. Small scale is the key. Small, but critical, experiments can be conducted in a garage or shed or on a table in the corner of the room.
Right now, we have far more questions than answers. Sure, there are A LOT of good ideas out there. But very few of them have actually been researched. Very little of the technology our Homesteaders need is actually “on the shelf”. That’s the goal of Lunar Homestead.
Call to action
Want to be actively involved in Lunar Homesteading research?
- Join the LH Crew
- Monitor the Research Updates
- Get involved in the community
- Help refine the LH Research Manual
- Conduct LH guided research (see below)
- Start your own research project!
Current Lunar Homestead research projects
- Shielded Pressurized Oxygen Resource Extraction (SPORE) – A new way to mine Lunar resources AND create habitable space on the Moon (and elsewhere). I’m currently working on this
- Lunar Oxygen Extraction Research Project (LOER) – Crew Member Jesse Horne and I are working on the tech needed to extract oxygen from Lunar rocks.
- Cast Basalt Pressure Hull Research Project – The goal of the Cast Basalt Pressure Hull Research Project is to determine if cast basalt can be used as the pressure hull material for Lunar Homestead habitats. And we need your help.
Pending Lunar Homestead research projects
- Lunar Iron Habitat – The hypothesis is that Lunar iron can serve as the primary construction material for Lunar Homestead habitat pressure hulls. This project is on hold while I work on SPORE.
Completed Lunar Homestead research projects