You can’t build a civilization without tools. So let’s get to developing the tools Lunar Homesteaders will need.
This page will deal with tools that don’t have a specific application. For example, a cast Lunar iron skillet would be under the Food section as it has few other uses. Although I used one for my Basalt Crushing Technique 2. I don’t recommend Lunar Homesteaders do that though.
Manual hand tools
The most basic, and critical (in my opinion), tools are basic hand tools. When all the fancy machines fail (and everything built by humans will eventually fail) you can always count on a well made hand tool. Settlements that fail to master the basics won’t last long.
Why hand tools are critical to all civilizations
- Geologic hammer
- Cracking hammer
- Star drill
- Plug and feather/wedge and feather
- Pry bar (long and short) – Remove rock from surrounding medium. Insert into cracks to break large rocks.
- Hand drill (to create weak spots and chisel points)
- Adjustable Wrench
- Tape measure
- Vice grip
- Dust pan
Electric hand tools
Anyone who has used a manual drill will attest that electric ones are more efficient and comfortable.
- Electric drill
- Electric saw
- Electric metal saw
- Electric stone saw
- Electric rotary hammer
Pneumatic hand tools
- Pneumatic drill (aka jackhammer)
- Oxygen pneumatic rotary hammer – for use in the SPORE environment