Hi there. Just wanted to let you know what I, and other Crew members, have been working on since the last update.
If you are reading this, and you think LH has value, then please join the LH Crew. The Patron level is only $2 per month (which is pretty insignificant for most people) and every little bit helps.
Hi there. Sorry for the extended silence. Honestly, I’ve been rather unhappy with how things have been going here at Lunar Homestead. I needed to take a break and introspect really hard.
See, what I’ve been doing hasn’t made much traction. Or money. The money is important if I want to keep doing this.
My brilliant wife told me it’s better to do 3 things really well than a bunch of things OK. She’s absolutely right. I’m having trouble getting it down to 3 however.
Here’s what I’m going to keep:
- Research into Lunar Homesteading technology and techniques. This is the core of what I want to do. The problem is that it doesn’t make money by itself. I was planning on people getting excited by the LH concept and wanting to get involved by giving LH money. That hasn’t happened much. So I have to do other stuff to pay for the research.
- Instructional videos. A series of 10-minute (or a little longer) PowerPoint presentations (with voice) describing a particular thing about Luna, LH, my current research, and anything else I can think of.These will be a primary “product” of LH. Right now I’m thinking of putting them on YouTube for free. I’ll monetize them by asking people to support LH through Patreon if they liked them, activating YouTube ads, finding paying sponsors and inserting their ad in each video, and anything else I can think of. I don’t think I can charge directly for them but I may be able to package a bunch together as a “course”. Hell, people are making money with fashion and make-up videos. I should be able to as well.
- NASA Watts on the Moon challenge. This is actually coming to an end next week but the team (Skyline X) has decided that we like the idea and want to keep working on it. We’re talking about forming a business and finding funding to build prototypes. If I can’t make LH profitable then maybe this will help pay the bills.
- Moon Society. I’m going to keep volunteering with the Moon Society. I’m going to run for Director again this summer, help put on the Lunar Development Conference 2021, and continue my role as Membership Coordinator. The one project I’m going to focus on is Lunarpedia. I’m going to tie my research and videos into it.
- Wordsmithing. I still want to write the LH Survival Guides and other books. I’m not sure how I’m going to monetize my writing but it needs to be done. Sure, I’ll try to sell books but I need to do more.
- Public speaking. Speaking at conferences and in front of groups is good marketing and experience building.
Here’s what I’m getting rid of (at least for now)
- The Weekly Research project / Crew-led Research. I’m pretty frustrated with the “space community” at the moment. Lots of people talk a big game but don’t actually want to put in any work. Even the people that have told me that they are very excited and want to get involved quickly flake out. And it’s not just with LH. It happens all the time with the Moon Society as well. Other “causes” don’t seem to have this problem to this extent. Many people excited by political, social, and environmental issues actually donate money and time. Some even put their lives on the line. I just don’t understand why “space people” would rather dream and talk instead of DO. Anyway, I’m putting anything to do with Crew-Led research on indefinite hold.
- Most of the Patreon supporter rewards. They just don’t do much to advance LH goals and they take up time. And few people have bothered to comment on them.
- The LH Discord server. It hasn’t had a lot of action. And honestly, I’m just not that interested in “community building”. I’m thinking about joining Nexus Aurora because they are good at building communities.
- This activity post. Let’s be real. I don’t know how many people read this but only a few have commented on it. So this will be the last one.
So, that’s it for now. I’m going to streamline the LH website to reflect these changes.
Thanks for reading. Be sure to check out the LH Patreon page if you’re interested in being a part of LH.