Hi there. Just wanted to let you know I’m still working on the Lunar SPORE project.
Work on the project today:
- I got sidetracked today by some homework I picked up at last night’s Moon Society Board of Director’s meeting. I volunteered to get access for all of the Leadership to our new WordPress website. And to write a brief tutorial on how to log in and do some basic functions. And to do a live tutorial on Monday night if anyone wants some more help. And I got it all done today. Except for the Monday thing.
- I didn’t get to call landscaping companies today but I may not have to anyway. I found that Home Depot sells basalt gravel in 40lb bags (homedepot.com/p/Butler-Arts-0-50-cu-ft-40-lbs-3-4-in-Natural-Basalt-Decorative-Landscaping-Gravel-BST-3-4-40/309543202). This may be the way to go as they are already packaged for transport.
- Then I got sucked down the rabbit hole for a while thinking about how I’m going to crush this gravel into the particle sizes I need. My first thought was “how can I manually crush these rocks”? So, I started looking into sledge hammers, geological hammers, and drilling/cracking hammers. Which are great and probably what I’ll end up trying first. But then I got distracted by looking at mechanized rock crushing equipment. Looking at videos, reading articles, etc. And THEN I started thinking about how Homesteaders would build such machines using only Lunar sourced materials and basic hand tools for construction. AND THEN I started thinking about how I would go about building such things and how it would be a great project. I even jotted down some notes. I finally came to my senses and realized that the first step is to figure out the hand tools, because they are the foundation for everything else.
- The upshot of all of this is that I’ve decided that I need to go to Home Depot (or maybe some other similar place if I get skunked), buy some bags of basalt gravel and a sledge hammer (and a canvas tarp to wrap the rocks in while I smash them), and break some rocks like a convict. Old school style.
- I also had an interesting conversation with Jesse, a new LH convert, about all sorts of fun things. From extracting oxygen from Lunar rocks to dealing with the nitrogen issue. Jesse is starting a project to resolve the oxygen extraction problem. Exciting stuff!