Hi there. Just wanted to let you know I’m still working on the Lunar SPORE project.
Work on the project today:
- I finished reading Lunar Regolith Simulant Materials: Recommendations for Standardization, Production, and Usage (ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20060051776.pdf) paper. Here’s what I’ve decided:
- There is no way I want to deal with Lunar simulants for Experiment 1. It would be crazy complex and expensive. And that’s assuming that I could find suitable simulants on the market anyway. Even though the paper is a little old (2006), I haven’t found anything current that disputes it.
- The lack of a readily available, standardized suite of Lunar simulants is concerning. Read the paper if you want to know why we need this NOW.
- Until we have these simulants, I’m going to stick with plain old terrestrial basalts.
- Tomorrow, I’ll start gathering data for the Lunar regolith parameters I think will be important for the experiment.
- Thanks Aedan for helping!