Hi there! This is a Lunar Homestead Business Update post. Exciting! This is where I let you know what else I’ve been working on besides the current project(s). As much as I’d like to spend 100% of my time researching, that’s just not possible. So I want to keep you up-to-date on what else I’m working on for Lunar Homestead.
- I’ve spent the last 4+ days thinking about how I can transition Lunar Homestead from simply being a platform for my research to something bigger.
- There’s way too much to research for one person. We’re going to have to work together if we’re actually going to see Lunar Homesteads in our lifetime. Governments, corporations, and other organizations just aren’t working on solving all the problems Homesteads will face.
- I can’t be the only person that is passionate about space settlement but feels excluded from meaningful, relevant space research. Currently, space research is the domain of Big Government, Big Industry, and Big Science. You have to have the proper degree/job/connections if you want to play. Otherwise you’re just a frustrated spectator.
- The better known space non-profits don’t seem to be doing much either. Most are focused on public outreach and/or changing government actions. Nothing wrong with these activities but it’s not really getting us anywhere fast. The Mars Society has its two Mars analog stations that are at least producing some usable research. I just haven’t come across an organization that really sponsors and supports small-scale individual and group research that can be used by future space settlers.
- Lunar Homestead can be a platform for the rest of us to contribute. We have ideas, resources, and enthusiasm that we are willing to commit to make space settlement a reality. What we lack is a sense of community and support (intellectual, emotional, financial, etc.).
- So what does that mean for LH?
- I’m going to continue to do my own research. It’s what I’m most interested in. The SPORE project is still my current research focus. I’m designing the first experiment right now.
- I’m still working out how I can expand Lunar Homestead into this broader function. I have a few ideas but I just haven’t had time to implement them yet.