Hi there. Just wanted to let you know I’m still working on this project.
Work on the project today:
- Started analyzing the data I’ve collected for Lunar free iron. The first step is getting a handle on the nanophase-iron (np-Fe0) particles created by space weathering (impacts) and locked up in agglutinates. These particles have been found in all Lunar samples and are thought to be everywhere. While only a small portion of the iron found on Luna, they could be a useful source if we can figure out how to extract and use them.
- A lot of the literature regarding nanophase materials and nanophase iron seems to be behind paywalls. This is a bit of a bummer but I’m still finding more than enough to keep me busy.
- Created the post for Nanophase Iron. Moved most of the information on nanophase iron from Lunar free iron to this new post.
- Added some data to Mineral Iron.
- Added some research papers to Resources: Lunar Databases. Unfortunately, several are behind paywalls so all I have are the abstracts.
- Data mined The Lunar Regolith. I hadn’t planned on it but the paper had information on nanophase iron I needed. There’s also a copy of a neat presentation at the end.
- Still data mining Extraterrestrial Materials Processing and Construction. I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface.