This post is simply going to be a list of organizations whose purpose is to study Luna or to return there. For-profit companies will have their own list. I’ll add organizations as I find them. Let me know if there is one I should add.
Organizations I support
- The Moon Society (www.moonsociety.org) – Currently I’m a member and the Membership Coordinator. We’re a small group with big ideas. And we could use your enthusiasm. I also wrote a post a long time ago.
- National Space Society (space.nss.org/) – I joined primarily for the discount to the International Space Development Conference (ISDC). The Ad Astra magazine is a nice bonus!
- CosmoQuest (cosmoquest.org) – Citizen science! You can catch them on their Twitch site. They also run Astronomy Cast, which is a great way to find out what’s happening in space science. I can’t wait to see what they’ll work on next.
- Arch Mission Foundation (www.archmission.org/) – Their mission is to protect human knowledge by placing it all over the solar system. Some of it is already on Luna (it was on the SpaceIL Beresheet Moon lander which crashed and may be intact).
- Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers (alpo-astronomy.org/) – The have a Lunar section.
- Canadian Lunar Research Network (clrn.uwo.ca/)
- Center for Lunar and Asteroid Surface Science (sciences.ucf.edu/class/)
- Daily Moon Position (www.dailymoonposition.com/default.aspx) – Just what it says.
- Earth Seed (earthseed.space/) – Kind of similar to Lunar Homestead. Small scale research.
- For All Mankind (www.forallmoonkind.org/) – They’re working to preserve the 6 Apollo sites.
- ISRU Info (isruinfo.com) – Facilitates discussions on Lunar ISRU (Mars and asteroids as well).
- Lunar and Planetary Institute – Lunar Science and Exploration (www.lpi.usra.edu)
- Lunar and Planetary Laboratory – University of Arizona (www.lpl.arizona.edu/)
- Lunar Colony Fund (lunarcolonyfund.org) – Interesting idea. I don’t know how far they’ve gotten.
- Lunar Exploration Analysis Group (www.lpi.usra.edu/leag)
- Lunar Explorers Society (www.lunarexplorers.net/home) – I’m not sure how active they are.
- Lunar Research Institute (lunar-research-institute.org/about.asp)
- Lunares – (lunares.space/) – A Lunar analog base that can be rented out.
- Moon Base Clavius (www.clavius.org) – A website devoted to debunking the Lunar landings conspiracy crap.
- Moon Village Association (moonvillageassociation.org/)
- Moon Watch (astro.ukho.gov.uk/moonwatch/index.html) – Lunar observing.
- Moonwards (www.moonwards.com) – They’re building a virtual Lunar settlement you can explore!
- Planetary Science Institute (www.psi.edu/)
- Selenian Boondocks (selenianboondocks.com/) – Lunar blog.
- Solar System Exploration Research Virtual Institute (lunarscience.arc.nasa.gov/)
- Spudis Lunar Resources (www.spudislunarresources.com/)
- The Luna Project (www.lunarcc.org) – I’m not sure how active they are but there is a little life on Facebook.
- Universities Space Research Association (www.usra.edu)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) (www.nasa.gov/)
- NASA Lunar Science Institute (https://sservi.nasa.gov/articles/nasa-lunar-science-institute/) – Conferences!
- NASA Moon (www.nasa.gov/moon)
- NASA Apollo (www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/index.html)
- Lunar Science for Landed Missions (https://lunar-landing.arc.nasa.gov/)
- NASA ISRU (isru.nasa.gov/)
- Dynamic Response of the Environments at Asteroids, the Moon, and the moons of Mars (ssed.gsfc.nasa.gov/dream/)
- NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts (NIAC) Program (www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/index.html)
- NASA Robotic Mining Competition (www.nasa.gov/offices/education/centers/kennedy/technology/nasarmc.html)
European Space Agency (www.esa.int/ESA)
- Lunar Exploration (https://lunarexploration.esa.int/#/intro) – Lots of great information!
China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (english.spacechina.com/n16421/index.html) – Responsible for executing state policy. State-owned and main contractor for Chinese space operations.
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (global.jaxa.jp/)
Indian Space Research Organization (www.isro.gov.in/)
- The American Lunar Society (www.amlunsoc.org) – I wrote a small post a while ago on ALS.
- Artemis Project (www.asi.org) – This was the “ancestor” of the Moon Society.
- Moon Base Clavius (www.clavius.org) – A site dedicated to debunking the Moon landing conspiracies.
- Free Luna (freeluna.blogspot.com/) – An old blog on Lunar colonization.
- Lunar Domes Atlas GLR group – (lunardomeatlas.blogspot.com/) – An inactive blog with some great pictures.
- Lunar Mission One (lunarmissionone.com/) – Archived January 2019. It’s unclear what they are doing now.
- The Luna Project (www.lunarcc.org/)
- Lunar Reclamation Society (lunar-reclamation.moonsociety.org)
- The Lunar Resource Company (bad link)
- Lunar X-Prize (lunar.xprize.org/) – Great idea but the contest ended before any contestant could win. Now it’s looking for an new sponsor.
- The Moon Blog (themoonblog.com/) – Seems inactive but worth a look.
- Moon Zoo (www.moonzoo.org/) – Moon Zoo was a project to study the lunar surface in unprecedented detail, by asking volunteers to identify craters and boulders in millions of images from NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO).
- Open Luna (openluna.org/) – I guess they were going to create their own Lunar settlement.
- Space Future (www.spacefuture.com/) – Another dead site.
- Trans Lunar Research (www.translunar.org) –
- WayPaver Foundation (waypaverfoundation.org) – I also wrote a small post on WayPaver.